Tuesday, November 1, 2011

sometimes the french eat chocolate cake at midnight.

Okay. I really am lucky, I do have the sweetest, cutest, old lady french host. She's just une bonne femme. [don't ask me if that is even right, I could be saying something bad for all I know]
She went out of town this weekend to her country home to visit her husbands grave. She took two of her daughters and the other stayed here at the house with us. -that was just a little bit awkward. So she got home tonight, and we had already eaten dinner and her daughters were here unloading groceries and stuff, and I was finished that midterm I told you I really should've started earlier.
But later she started talking to hailey and asking about the trips were taking/weekends we'll be gone because she wants to drive us to the loire valley for a day.
We talked and figured out all of our schedules and marked it all on her calendar in the kitchen. I understood a lot that was going on and was even able to throw in a couple of the french words I knw, that was exciting.
Then I successfully asked her if Tiffany could spend the night the last night here.
And then I started to ask her another question,
"Je suis un outre question.."
and her response was
"j'ai.. j'ai"
And then I realized/hailey told me, I was saying I AM a question. So she told me how to say I HAVE a question. My french is really de-proving. {you know, the opposite of improving.}
Anyways, the other day when I went to versailles they had one whole ceiling that was painted but covered with tiny pieces of paper. Me and tiffany wondered about that, and if it was for restoration, and Katherine, my lady is an art restorer so I took a picture of it so that I could ask her about it. RESULT! She explained everything to us, how it works, and I understood a lot of that also, which is so good for me, that was an advanced subject I would say.
So we ended up talking for what feels like twelve hours. And it was nice, not too boring which it usually is, but a good convo.
I finally made it back to my room and looked at the time and it was 11:20 pm. Wowzas. I continued working on my homework then Katherine broke out the chocolate cake. She got it for us for the weekend but we never ended up eating it and she asked "why!?" So her and hailey stayed in the kitchen and ate some but I did not really want any [I already have felt pregnant for a week from all I've been eating] and I needed to focus.
Then like twenty minutes later she walks into my room with a little plate of chocolate cake and set it on my bed next to me.
"Viola" -I love when the french say that, and she always says that.
Thank you katherine for being such a cool lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment