Sunday, November 13, 2011

sunny in paris




I'm having a great sunday.
peaceful.
b u t
I miss london so much.
But today Paris made me realize how much I missed Paris. It seriously is an incredible place, and theres nothin' like it, nor that compares.
I'm so lucky to be here.
And to have had the chance to live in this city for such a long period of time. I've missed lots at home and I'm excited to be able to go back and have some new fun but I'm more excited to spend the next 18 days in Europe, living it up while I can.

Daryl stressed to us the importance of being on time to church, so today, I was on time. Or about fifteen minutes early. When I was walking up the stairs of the metro a man was trying to get my attention, and I've learned to go into an ignoring mode, where, no matter who, I just ignore the person because most of the time its just a randy french who is creepy.
But this guy was like "Oh excuse me.. Miss, miss?"
and I turned around and he started talking, in english, asking me where a bridge was. And I just looked at him really weird because I could not think of any bridge he'd be talking about, so then he totally thought I was french, [ :) ] because he kept repeating "bridge" and making a sign for it. Then finally I was like "OH, i speak english!" haha.
It was a couple who were from london, fancy that, and we talked for a bit and I directed them where to go.
Then, I didn't even walk two steps and another person came up to me asking me something in french and I completely understood and told her where to go, in french.
I was pretty proud of myself this morning.

After church, which was hard to stay awake through, me and Anna went to check out the
holocaust memorial.

Its right by the notre dame so we walked, and it was pleasant.
The memorial;
You walk down some stairs, so you're at the same level as the seine [the river] and it was just a bunch of white stonework. We were like, is this it?
I forgot, the lady told us we could take pictures, but just for us, were not supposed to publish them to the internet. But I think the outside is okay, right? Just pretend you never saw these.{There it is. Thats the whole memorial}..
But then we found a tiny entry through these big blocks.It was a small memorial, it had a couple quotes from the time and had these little lit balls that represented all of the french that did not return from concentration camps. One quote said that the place was to remember the 200 thousand, that had passed.
There were two empty jail like looking cells in there also, just a barred door and no windows. The whole memorial was supposed to represent what a concentration camp was like, and how it felt, narrow staircases, and obstructed views with no sight of the horizon.
It was really cool to go to and I'm glad I did. I wanted to do something today at least.

Afterwards we decided to go down and sit next to the seine.
I loved it. And definitely want to do that more often during the two weeks that I have.
It was really nice to just sit there, in such an amazing spot, and just talk.
And it was really really sunny today in Paris, so I even took off my coat and got comfortable.
Anna took a picture for a french couple, and after talking to them for a while the lady said "I want a picture of you two, you're so nice." And took a picture of us on her phone.
So presh.

Then I saw this guy:
{ a fishbowl balanced on his head, red clown nose, and tap shoes, all set to some great african music. }

I walked over to the metro, but it literally took me forty minutes. I stopped to watch some fun.
This guy was performing on a bridge, and this is for my mom and aunt debbie because I know how much they love mini stuff. He had set up this mini chairs for children to watch, and he rode that mini bicycle.


The bubble guy, makes me smile every time.

There was some showcase or exhibit at the hotel de ville, so I walked around and looked at that, no idea what it all was about.. something with foreign countries.


Now I'm napping.
And writing in my journal.
Planning the next three days I have in Paris until I go to Prague for the weekend.
Studying for my french test
And this...
{all day everyday. This is how you become french}

No comments:

Post a Comment